Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Lovedrug - Shortest Concert Ever

I just got back from the shortest concert ever. We had tickets to see Lovedrug open for Plain White T's at the House of Blues in New Orleans. The show started at six which is pretty darn early. I guess that's what we get for going to an all ages show. We didn't leave Baton Rouge until 5:30 which put us at the venue at 6:45 which is exactly when Lovedrug's set was supposed to start (they were second of four). We enter when they are in the middle of the first song. Almost perfect timing. They sound great live. I don't know much about music, but I think when a band sounds great live it is a good indication that their album is not over-produced. I really like how live music sounds. I guess it's just loud, but it seems like it's more than that. That's why I can't wait to get out of an apartment and turn up my sound system as loud as I want. Anyway, Lovedrug played four more songs; only one from their first album. They announced that they were going to play one more song and then abruptly said "nevermind" and walked off the stage. I can only guess that someone off stage told them there wasn't time. I've never been in a band, but that's got to be the moment when a band learns where they are on the totem pole. Five songs is enough! Get back on the bus!
We left after Lovedrug was done. The band playing next was one that I had never heard of and I wasn't interested in seeing Plain White T's. So we ended up driving all the way to New Orleans for 5 songs in 30 minutes. For those of you keeping score at home at $25 per ticket that's $5 per song. But it was worth it.

No comments: